Remarkable is what those Black Skimmers are:
with its knife-thin, longer-than-the-top lower mandible,
BS bounds over the water, dragging its gapped-mouth,
catching killifish. and
does it by touch, so fishing at dawn OR dusk works as well as daylight.
They’re crepuscular, like our wee ones
who skim shovels, trucks and excavators over the sand flats
even as the last daylight seeps from the beach.
- Audubon warning beachgoers to watch for chicks (newsherald.com)
- Rookery near Rockport home to baby birds (caller.com)
- Skimmers at dusk… (talesbytheriverbank.wordpress.com)
- As Promised ~ Beach Update (tartaninkblog.wordpress.com)
- Little Children Look at the World as Strangers Because They Are. And So They See What I Miss Because I’ve Been There Before. “Knowticing”: Honor the Familiar Paths; They Hold Treasures Still to be Unearthed. (a 420 Character, 9-Line Poem) (wordswewomenwrite.wordpress.com)